Thursday, July 28, 2005

Mmm. Chicken.

Contrary to popular rumor, I am not dead, I was merely on vacation. Well, not quite "vacation" because that would imply that I have a job. No, I took a trip to the redneck ancestral homeland for a few days of hanging out at granddad's old place. (My mum bought it after granddad died, and my parents have remodeled it. It's in the middle of nowhere, and rather nice to get away to.)

And what sustained me while I was away? Why, my Super Duper All Purpose Sorta Mexican Goo!

To make The Goo you'll need:

1 package chicken tenders or "stir fry" chicken pieces
1 can black beans (Goya if you've got 'em)
1 can diced tomatoes with chilis (I bought the store brand because it's bigger than Ro-Tel, but do what you will)
1 package sliced baby bella mushrooms
1 lime
1 bunch cilantro (it can be a small bunch)

Make sure the chicken is in bite-sized pieces, and whip it into your favorite non-stick frying pan. Toss in your clean, tasty mushrooms, the can of tomatoes (undrained) and the juice of half the lime. Pop the lid on it, and cook on medium/medium high till it looks super soupy. (Stir occasionally) Toss in your drained (but not rinsed) beans, and cook with the lid off, stirring semi-frequently until the chicken is cooked through, and the remaining liquid is thick and tasty but not totally gone. Remove from the heat, stir in a healthy dose of freshly minced cilantro and serve-

(And yes, this IS my quickie quesadilla filling, in a way)

This is excellent on little corn tortillas that have been warmed in a dry frying pan, to make little mini burritos. Or, you could serve it on fried corn tortillas as tostadas. Or as the filling for tasty nachos (cut up your tortillas and bake till crispy) or it'd be great with eggs (with or without the chicken).

I also whipped up some tasty Tuna Action too. (And whoever came up with the idea of tuna in a foil bag? I want to marry you.)

Take one of the single type serving bags of tuna and pour into a bowl.
Squeeze on the juice of 1/2 lime and add some minced tomato and cilantro. Mix it all up and serve in one of those ubiquitous corn tortillas. (because when they're on sale for 69 cents at the grocery store? You stock up.) Wicked tasty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home