Thursday, June 16, 2005

Bumble Bee Tuna Steaks

So for supper this evening I decided to try the new Bumble Bee marinated tuna steaks. Well, steak. You can find a whole host of flavored tuna in those swell little plasti-foil pouches now. I'm a huge fan of the Garlic & Herb Starkist pouches (and so is everyone else, apparently, because I have a hard time finding it). The Lemon Pepper tuna is also good. It's great because you can just open the baggie and dive in. It's great on salads, or just plain. That said, the tuna steaks are a bit interesting.

The size is just right for one person, and the Ginger Soy marinade on the one I purchased is delicate, but tasty. However, what you need to remember is that this is, basically, canned tuna. It's ultra-firm, and that's a little creepy. I'm used to a piece of fish that big being a bit... juicier/more tender. (Even regular tuna/salmon/other fish steaks.) That was a bit difficult to get used to. Overall, it wasn't bad, and with the help of some jasmine rice (boil in bag, oddly enough- which was very tasty.) and veggies I had supper ready in under 10 minutes.

What was that supper?

Wicked Fast Food

You'll need:

1 marinated tuna steak (if you use the bumblebee, it'll be a lot faster, but your own tuna will taste 1,000 times better)
1 pouch boil in bag rice (success brand is actually pretty decent) or your own real rice.
1 cup of your favorite frozen stir-fry vegetable blend

Soy Sauce, if you like.

Start by boiling the water you'll need for your rice. When the water's ready, cook according to the package directions (though, I find it always cooks faster than they say). While the rice is cooking, put your vegetables in a small pyrex/microwave safe container. Open up the tuna package and pour the extra marinade in with the vegetables. Cover the veggies with plastic wrap and nuke for 3 minutes (give or take). When the veggies are done, and the rice is tender, microwave the tuna for 30 seconds.

To serve, put some of the rice on your plate, pour the vegetables and marinade over top, and serve with the tuna.

Tasty, rapid, and not bad for you. Of course, now i need to figure out how to turn that leftover rice into rice pudding, because I'm fiending.

3 Comments:

Blogger ZigKvetch said...

Am I glad I found you! I have been suspiciously eyeing those tuna steaks for awhile now, and appreciate your taking one for the team by trying it and reporting back.

And your recipes look extremely yummy. Hurrah!

10:07 PM  
Blogger Special Sauce said...

Hey! Thanks! How did you find the place?

I'm pleased to report that the tuna steak was not anything like the "Steve, don't eat it!" column at the Sneeze.

I didn't do much cooking this weekend, but I think I'm going to get Tom (the chef at the codger corral) to give me the recipes for his salmon wellington and chicken florentine to post- the first sounds awesome, and the second IS awesome.

4:14 AM  
Blogger ZigKvetch said...

Salmon Wellington? I could cry that sounds so good. And I'm a big fan of pretty much anything florentine.

That "Steve, don't eat it!" column makes me laugh (and gag) so hard. Prison wine! And he had to make both red and white! HA

I think I found you when I updated my blog and then clicked on one of the key words I used (either food or cooking or Alton Brown or something). Then I looked at all the blogs that came up, saw your sock monkey, read the blog, and it was love at first sight!

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home