Sunday, June 12, 2005

And while I'm at it

I have to say, Bisquick is my friend.

I've been a biscuit fiend lately. I don't know why. And for whatever reason? Bisquick does it for me. And the new reduced-fat bisquick? It's awesome. I recommend it highly.

On that end, 2 of my favorite goodies from the Bisquick Box.

Bisquick Biscuits (good for fiendish cravings)

2 1/4 cups bisquick
2/3 cup milk

Mix together. Turn dough out onto work surface dusted with bisquick. Knead about 10 times. Roll about 3/4 inch thick, and cut out with a drinking glass. Bake at 450 for 9 minutes, brush the tops with butter, and be happy, oh so happy.

If you're feeling shmancy, throw in about 1/2 to 2/3 cup of shredded cheese, and (if you're adventuresome) a healthy dose of coarsely cracked black pepper. The closest, fastest thing to my grandma's pepper cheese bread.

...and a note on grandma's pepper cheese bread. I always wanted that recipe, and I think my mom got it before my grandmother died. However, I haven't seen it in years, and I fear it may be lost. Which is a shame, because my Aunt Sandy has the house, and all its contents. And I know I will never see that recipe again. (Family feuds, love 'em.) Grandma was incredible- she had this big flour bin in the kitchen- her recipes weren't for one or two loaves. Oh no. We're talking 12 loaves at a time. TWELVE. And rarely did she write down things- she just knew how much flour and yeast to dish out.

Come to think of it, both my grandmothers had their strong suits. Dad's mom was the queen of bread, and made the world's best beer-battered fish- always made with their catch from Canada, or the local creeks. So good. Grandma G. also made the best macaroni salad. Nobody knows how she did it, but you could always count on it at picnics and funerals. However, Grandma G. made lousy pie crusts.

Grammy on the other hand? AWESOME pie crusts. Crappy bread. Which leads to the family theory. You're either a pie person or a bread person, but rarely both. I make a passable pie crust (mom doesn't hate it. Which is not faint praise, I assure you- She's a pie crust person.) I'm better with bread, but don't always like taking the time to do it. Apparently I cook like grammy (and look like her too, go figure). Which is a point of pride for me.


Anyway, pardon that little trip down memory lane.

On to my favorite summer dish- shortcake. I actually dragged out an ancient bag of frozen blueberries today, to appease the family, as I was craving just plain old shortcake. Bisquick, naturally.

Bisquick shortcakes

2 1/3 cups bisquick
1/2 cup milk
3 Tablespoons sugar
3 Tablespoons melted butter

Mix that all together, and drop into about 6 little mounds on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with a little more sugar if you like, and bake at 425 for 12 minutes.

YUM.

Aunt & Uncle who came to visit say I should really cook in a professional capacity. Or cater. I'd just be afraid I'd suck, or hate it. Though I have toyed with the notion of opening a stand at market before. I don't know if I'd have enough hook. Then again, one of the places we visited at lunchtime was pretty simple, and did a decent business.

Who knows...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home